bbieron@platformeconomyinsights.com

Australia’s Social Media Age Limit Will Apply to Google’s YouTube

Aug 1, 2025

Report from Reuters

In Brief – The Australian Government has reversed course and announced that the country’s strict social-media age limit of 16 years old, set to come online in December, will apply to YouTube despite the initial plan to exempt the massive and massively popular video platform. Last month, Australia’s eSafety Commissioner recommended ditching the exemption, citing online user research that pointed to YouTube as the platform cited by the largest number of young users in Australia as the place they encountered harmful content. YouTube, which is one of the digital platforms most widely used by teens around the world, including in Australia, was to be exempted based on the government’s determination that the primary purpose for younger users was addressing health and education needs, uses that qualify for an exemption under the law. However, that decision was harshly criticized by other digital platforms with large numbers of teen users including Instagram, Facebook, TikTok, and Snap. In response to the government’s change of course, a YouTube spokesperson said that the platform should be exempt because, “YouTube is a video sharing platform with a library of free, high-quality content, increasingly viewed on TV screens. It’s not social media.”

Context – Like his predecessor, Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has been willing to talk tough to big US tech. So, it was a surprise when YouTube got a carve out from the government’s high-profile social media age limit. But we noted at the time the possible impact of how Google and Meta have taken different paths on the equally high-profile and contentious Australian policy of forcing the digital giants to pay millions of dollars to Australian media companies. Before the government pushed through its social media age limit, Meta said that it planned to stop paying Australian media companies and was willing to block media posts instead. Google was willing to keep paying the Australian companies. Meta’s platforms then faced the new age limit while Google’s YouTube got the nod from the government. But apparently not anymore.

View By Monthly
Latest Blog
Dutch Regulator Opens Digital Services Act Investigation of Roblox

Report from NL Times In Brief – The Netherlands Authority for Consumers and Markets (ACM) has launched a formal Digital Services Act (DSA) investigation of Roblox over concerns that the online gaming platform may not be doing enough to protect children. The DSA...

EU Commission Moves to Stop Meta from Banning Chatbots on WhatsApp

Report from Wall Street Journal In Brief – The European Commission has informed Meta that it plans to block the company’s ban on third-party AI chatbots from operating over WhatsApp. The antitrust regulator has reached a preliminary finding that Meta’s policy could...

Department of Justice and State AGs Appeal Google Search Remedies Order

Report from Bloomberg In Brief – The US Department of Justice has announced that it notified the Federal Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia that it will appeal US District Judge Amit Mehta’s remedies order in the federal antitrust lawsuit that found Google...

Governor Newsome Drops Funding for Media from California State Budget

Report from SFiST In Brief – The latest budget proposal from California Governor Gavin Newsom (D) has eliminated funding for the News Transformation Fund, a state initiative to pay millions of dollars to California media companies. The fund was announced in 2024 as...

Platform Economy Insights produces a short email four times a week that reviews two top stories with concise analysis. It is the best way to keep on top of the news you should know. Sign up for this free email here.

* indicates required